Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Reflection on Sunday's Sermon


Last Sunday we had the privilege of hearing Father Mark's annual sermon on sin.  (Go listen to it again or for the first time- he posts all his sermons on his YouTube Channel.)  He only does this once or twice a year- most of time he preaches wonderful happy sermons on love, living in community- but a few times a year we gotta hear about sin.

I'll be honest- these sermons are hard for me.  Maybe it's the memories of growing up in a conservative southern church, maybe it's just the reality of the it topic- but typically I just want to avoid these Sundays.

This Sunday was a little different & I quickly found myself absorbed in what Father Mark was saying.  The message I came away with was "stop blaming others for your sin."  It's you.  It's all you, but it's not you forever.

And for the first time, I understood the hope that is in forgiveness- the potential transformation of those horrid, stomach churning feelings into a serenity found through acceptance.

What did you take away from Sunday's sermon?  Please share your thoughts with us- you can always post anonymously here.

No comments:

Post a Comment